Sunday, August 9, 2009

Low Impact Larger Family Living: Check Craigslist First

Y'all know I love me some Ikea, and y'all also know I have five, count'em, five kidlets, ages 6 thru 9. Although we have a biggish house, we have smallish bedrooms and the kids are at the age where private space would be a wonderful thing. I have been eyeing these loft beds at Ikea: They would get all the kids out of bunks and open up a bunch of floor space, especially for my daughter, who has a postage stamp sized room (but a room of her own, which every girl needs). I could whip up some fun privacy curtains for the bottoms and each kid could have a quiet space to read, think, get away from siblings, even those that share a room.

However. Five times 199.00 is a little steep for us right now. We were going to have to bite the bullet and do something, though, because one of the bunk beds is broken. Soooo, I planned to take a little trip to Ikea next weekend to get two.

Except my sweet Baboo, ever the environmentalist, said "maybe we should check Craigslist first." And when we did, we stumbled upon four (count 'em, FOUR) of this exact model, barely used, all available, and some with extra add on shelves and desks to boot. The grand total for all four? $525. Saved at least 300 bucks, saved the impact of manufacturing four new beds, and saved the time and cost of driving to Schaumburg.

Okay, not that last part, because I'm still going to Ikea next weekend. :p

The moral of the story? Check Craigslist or Freecycle first. And if you have a trip planned to Ikea, for heaven's sake, don't cancel it.

No comments: